The METASIN project, entitled Research, Development and Innovation in New Multifunctional Foods for Metabolic Syndrome, was approved in the 2015 call for the CIEN strategic program, managed by the Center for Industrial Technological Development (CDTI).
This business initiative, made up of 8 companies from the Spanish sector of biotechnology and food, was created in the Working Group on Food and Health of the Technology Platform of Spain of Food for Life (PTF4LS) and has as main objective the research and development of active ingredients, and multifunctional food supplements capable of influencing the pathologies and risk factors associated with Metabolic Syndrome, in order to improve the quality of life of the population that suffers it.
After more than two years of intense work, the first results are obtained:
- BIOSEARCH, SA, a project coordinator specializing in the research, development, production and marketing of healthy ingredients of natural origin, has developed and characterized innovative ingredients (plant extracts, omega-3 microalgae oils and a large collection of probiotic strains isolated from breast milk). For some of them, clinical validation studies have been implemented to provide solid scientific evidence to support the use of these new ingredients in the treatment and / or prevention of different pathologies associated with the Metabolic Syndrome.
- ACEITES DEL SUR-COOSUR, SA, with more than 175 years of experience dedicated to the elaboration of olive oil and table sauces, has focused its research in the search of healthy lipid profiles developing a cream of hazelnuts and cacao, oil and content reduced calories, unsaturated solid fats of vegetable origin as substitutes for palm or coconut and a light sauce with fiber and quinoa launched to the market within its range of healthy sauces Coosur Well-being
- ALGAENERGY, SA, a technology-based company focused on the development of new products derived from microalgae, has deepened the production and characterization of microalgae biomass and its extracts for inclusion in different food matrices studied in the project as well as in dietary supplements , paying special attention to the nutritional profile, organoleptic properties and functionality of the developed prototypes.
- CREACIONES AROMÁTICAS INDUSTRIALES, SA (CARINSA), whose main activity is the creation, manufacture and commercialization of all kinds of fragrances, aromas and additives, has studied different ingredients, such as the probiotic Lactobacillus plantarum Lp3547, oils or microalgae and has developed a mortadella of turkey without fatty animals by means of a fat substitute made with vegetable oil, improving the lipid profile and reducing the energy value.
- FEIRACO LÁCTEOS, SL, a reference in the Galician dairy sector, focused on the collection, processing and commercialization of cow’s milk and derived products, has optimized the nutritional profile of naturally modified UNICLA milk in relation to the reduction of saturation of milk fat and its content in healthy components of the feeding of the cows. From this milk, it has developed a range of proteins and milk fats for the food industry and has advanced in the development of new dairy products that incorporate active ingredients developed by the consortium, among which are betaglucans and microalgae extracts. As serendipity, the carbon footprint of UNICLA milk has been reduced.
- GO FRUSELVA, S.L., specializing in the development and co-manufacture of purees, smoothies, juices, bags and glass nectars; has developed a new range of products based on fruit and vegetable juices, where it seems that very promising results are obtained in terms of antioxidant capacity, due to the bioaccessibility of polyphenols and anthocyanins naturally present in the developed prototypes.
- MAHOU, S.A., a leading company in the Spanish brewing sector, has studied the potential of two of its co-products: bagasse and yeast as a source of beneficial ingredients for the metabolic syndrome. Different types of bagasse and beer yeasts have been characterized by identifying some interesting compounds such as beta-glucans, phytosterols and arabinoxylans in bagasse, or ergoterol in yeast.
- VIDA (VÉRTICE DE INNOVACIÓN Y DESARROLLO DE ALIMENTOS, SA), a company belonging to Galletas Gullón, SA, one of the first biscuit makers in Europe and one of the leading food companies in Spain, leader in the biscuit-health segment, is working in the development of a new generation of cereal products (pancakes and sticks) to treat Metabolic Syndrome through nutrition without the need for medication.
The consortium METASIN, which also collaborates with important research groups from different universities and technological centers in Spain, being LEITAT- Acondicionamiento Tarrasense, the scientific coordinator of the project, will continue betting until the end of the project to take a step in the fight and prevention Metabolic Syndrome and associated diseases through innovation in the field of food.
Contact Biosearch, S.A .: Dr. Cristina Díaz Morillo. Project Manager (email@example.com)